|home · exhibitions · about the gallery · directions · moravian college|
ABOUT THE GALLERY
Fashioned out of what had originally been a small gymnasium, Payne Gallery had been built in 1911 to allow post-Victorian young ladies of the distinguished Moravian Seminary to perform their "physical culture" exercises.
Over time, however, the gymnasium fell into disuse. In 1963, the Art Department seized the opportunity presented by an idle space and set up studio classes there.
Then in 1982 the former gymnasium was converted into the Frank E. and Seba B. Payne Gallery. The gallery, named in honor of her parents, was made possible by the extraordinary generosity of Priscilla Payne Hurd.
In 2001 the interior of the gallery was renovated to Smithsonian exhibition standards.
more information contact the Payne Gallery at 610-861-1491.