Internships, field studies, and community service opportunities (all forms of experiential learning) provide students with valuable experience while assisting them in formulating career goals. Many employers and graduates schools specifically look for these types of experiences when they are making decisions on who they will hire for jobs or who they will admit.
Why should your student consider an experiential learning experience?
- To translate classroom theory into practice within an organization
- To participate in academically-related research
- To enhance personal development and maturity
- To enhance one’s experience base for graduate school or employment
- To make better career and/or academic choices
- To develop or enhance basic professional workplace skills
- To “test-drive” a potential career or major choice in a "real world" environment
- To increase the likelihood of securing employment after graduation
Resources to help your students apply for graduate school and employment:
Guide to Ethical and Legal Standards in Student Hiring
Guide for Writing Letters of Recommendation
Sample letter of recommendation
Sample recommendation form
Guide to Internships