Print Page

Educational Programs

Interdepartmental Majors

In addition to the departmental majors, the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science degree also may be taken with an interdepartmental major consisting of six course units chosen from one department (called Set I) and six course units from one or more other departments (Set II), carefully selected, in consultation with an advisor in the Set I area and with approval by the Academic Standards Committee, with a specific purpose. The Set I area of concentration determines the degree (B.A. or B.S.). At least one course among the 12 must be designated as writing-intensive.

The objective of the interdepartmental major is to incorporate sets of courses from two or more departments into an organized program of study. It is designed for the student who has an academic objective that cannot be achieved by the regular departmental major. It is not intended to accommodate the uncommitted student. Proposals for an interdepartmental major, therefore, must be submitted to the Academic Standards Committee for approval prior to registration for the senior year.

Self-Designed Majors

A student whose academic interests or career goals cannot be met by any of the departmental or interdepartmental majors listed above may propose a self-designed major. Such a program normally consists of 12 course units. The student chooses a title for the major and formulates a general rationale for it (including specific career objectives, where appropriate). Each of the 12 course units must be justified as a part of the program and related to the rationale. At least one course among the 12 must be designated as writing-intensive. The student's faculty advisor works closely and carefully with the student in planning such a self-designed major. The student should be prepared to demonstrate that his or her goals cannot be met through existing options. As for the regular interdepartmental major, the Academic Standards Committee may meet with the student to discuss the program. Applications must be submitted for approval to the Academic Standards Committee no later than the announced date of midterm of the first term of the junior year.

Double Majors

A student who wishes to complete full majors in two areas of study indicates one as the primary major, which determines the degree (B.A., B.Mus., or B.S.). Both majors will be noted on the transcript. Students enrolled for two majors who wish to earn two different degrees must complete no fewer than 40 course units. The majors for the double degrees must belong to different degree programs—a B.A. and a B.S. but not a pair of majors both of which belong either to the B.A. or to the B.S. Consult the list of majors and degree programs in this catalog.


A minor consists of a sequence of at least five letter-graded course units in one subject area. Students may not minor in a track (e.g., students may minor in art but not in graphic design, a track in the art curriculum). Students may appeal to the Academic Standards Committee to create a self-designed minor not covered by the usual departmental offerings (e.g., Asian studies). To complete a minor, at least three of the five graded course units must be taken at Moravian or another LVAIC institution. In many cases, departments specify certain courses that must be included in a minor. These are listed in the descriptions of the respective departments. As with majors, a minimum cumulative QPA of 2.00 is required for all courses, both required and elective, taken in the department of the minor.

Notes on Double Majors and Minors

In seeking to establish a second major or a minor, a student may count a course only once. For example, a student may not count Economics 152 more than once in fulfilling the requirements of a major or minor in economics, management, and accounting. An alternate course, approved by the department, must be substituted in the second major or the minor.

Required collateral or co-requisite courses in departments outside the major, however, may be used to establish a second major or a minor if at least eight course units in one department are required for the first major. As an example, the major in chemistry requires eight chemistry course units and in addition three course units in mathematics and two course units in physics. In this case, the mathematics course units or the physics course units may be counted toward a second major or a minor in mathematics or in physics.

Note on Cross-Listed Courses

Cross-listed courses count toward a major or minor only in the field in which they are listed on the transcript.