Print Page

Educational Programs

Interdepartmental Majors

In addition to the departmental majors, the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science degree also may be taken with an interdepartmental major consisting of six course units chosen from one department (called Set I) and six course units from one or more other departments (Set II), carefully selected, in consultation with an advisor in the Set I area and with approval by the Academic Standards Committee, with a specific purpose. The Set I area of concentration determines the degree (B.A. or B.S.). At least one course among the 12 must be designated as writing-intensive. At least two courses must be at the 300-level.

The objective of the interdepartmental major is to incorporate sets of courses from two or more departments into an organized program of study. It is designed for the student who has an academic objective that cannot be achieved by the regular departmental major. It is not intended to accommodate the uncommitted student. Proposals for an interdepartmental major, therefore, must be submitted to the Academic Standards Committee for approval prior to registration for the senior year.

Self-Designed Majors

A student whose academic interests or career goals cannot be met by any of the departmental or interdepartmental majors listed above may propose a self-designed major. Such a program normally consists of 12 course units. The student chooses a title for the major and formulates a general rationale for it (including specific career objectives, where appropriate). Each of the 12 course units must be justified as a part of the program and related to the rationale. At least one course among the 12 must be designated as writing-intensive, and at least two courses must be at the 300-level. The student's faculty advisor works closely and carefully with the student in planning such a self-designed major. The student should be prepared to demonstrate that his or her goals cannot be met through existing options. As for the regular interdepartmental major, the Academic Standards Committee may meet with the student to discuss the program. Applications must be submitted for approval to the Academic Standards Committee no later than the announced date of midterm of the first term of the junior year.

Double Majors

Double Majors
A student who wishes to complete full majors in two areas of study indicates one as the primary major, which determines the degree (B.A., B.Mus., or B.S.). Both majors will be noted on the transcript.

Double Degrees (Undergraduate)
Students who wish to earn multiple baccalaureate degrees from Moravian College must complete multiple majors (one major per degree awarded), all requirements of the Learning in Common program (excepting Add-Venture students), and at least eight additional course units beyond the first degree for each additional degree. For example, a student wishing to earn two undergraduate degrees must complete at least 40 units; a student wishing to earn three undergraduate degrees must complete at least 48 units.

Double Degrees (Graduate)
Students who have earned a graduate degree from Moravian College or Moravian Theological Seminary are invited to pursue a second graduate degree from the institution. Students must apply for admission to the new degree program, and fulfill all requirements of that degree program. The program director of the second degree program determine if credits from the previous degree may be applied to the new degree program, up to a maximum of 50% of the new degree program. Students who are simultaneously enrolled in two master's programs may count courses towards both degrees, as long as at least 50% of the courses in each degree program is completed independently of the other.

Some external accrediting bodies may have policies on transfer and sharing of credits between degree programs. Where these policies are more stringent or specific than the Moravian College policy stated above, the accreditation policies take precedence.


A minor consists of a sequence of at least five letter-graded course units in one subject area. Except where such already approved minors exist, students may not minor in a track (e.g., students may minor in management but not in sports management, a track in the management curriculum). Students may appeal to the Academic Standards Committee to create a self-designed minor not covered by the usual departmental offerings (e.g., Asian studies). To complete a minor, at least three of the five graded course units must be taken at Moravian or another LVAIC institution. In many cases, departments specify certain courses that must be included in a minor. These are listed in the descriptions of the respective departments. As with majors, a minimum cumulative QPA of 2.00 is required for all courses, both required and elective, taken in the department of the minor.

Notes on Double Majors and Minors

In seeking to establish a second major or a minor, a student may count a course only once. For example, a student may not count Economics 152 more than once in fulfilling the requirements of a major or minor in economics, management, and accounting. An alternate course, approved by the department, must be substituted in the second major or the minor.

Required collateral or co-requisite courses in departments outside the major, however, may be used to establish a second major or a minor if at least eight course units in one department are required for the first major. As an example, the major in chemistry requires eight chemistry course units and in addition three course units in mathematics and two course units in physics. In this case, the mathematics course units or the physics course units may be counted toward a second major or a minor in mathematics or in physics.

Note on Cross-Listed Courses

Cross-listed courses count toward a major or minor only in the field in which they are listed on the transcript.