Cooperative Program with Temple University School of Dentistry
The Biological Sciences Department of Moravian College has a cooperative program in dentistry with Temple University School of Dentistry that offers a student the option of spending only three years at Moravian for basic education in the sciences and liberal arts. Then, if prescribed requirements are fulfilled, the student may transfer to Temple University for four years to earn a Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degree. Students entering this program do not receive a bachelor’s degree from Moravian, but continue on to receive their D.M.D degree from Temple University.
While at Moravian, a student must complete 24 course units, including:
- Chemistry 113-114 and 211-212
- Biology 112, 327, 345. And 386
- Physics 109110 or 111-112
Students participating in the College’s cooperative dentistry program must select Biology 112 to fulfill their Laboratory Science requirement. For the Multidisciplinary requirements, they need to choose only five of the six categories. They also must complete only one of the two Upper-Division category requirements.
Admission to Temple University School of Dentistry
Temple University School of Dentistry reserves a minimum of four seats annually for Moravian students. Automatic invitation for an interview will be granted by Temple University School of Dentistry to Moravian candidates who meet these criteria:
- They must have earned a QPA of 3.50 by the end of the fifth semester in the basic sciences, a 3.40 in the major science, and a QPA of 3.30 overall. They must not have any grade lower than a C.
- They must have taken the Dental Admission Test (DAT) no later than October of the junior year, and have achieved a score of 18 or better in the science and 18 or better as the academic average of the test.
- They must submit applications through the American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) in the fall of the junior year.
- They must participate in numerous volunteer and shadowing opportunities, and continue to demonstrate the personal qualities necessary to become a member of the student body of the Temple University Dental School.
- They must obtain a letter of evaluation from the Pre-Dental Committee endorsing the student’s candidacy.
- They must complete the Temple University School of Dentistry application form and submit it by December 1 of the junior year.
- They must interview at the Dental School during the junior year
Note: The Temple cooperative program does not prevent students from applying to other schools of dental medicine.
Final decision on acceptance to Temple University School of Dentistry will be solely at the discretion of the School of Dentistry. A student who stays at Moravian for four years will be subject to the same admissions guidelines as three-year Moravian/ four-year Temple students, with a one-year extension on the time-frames outlined above for taking the DAT and completing the application.