Office: Comenius Hall 302
Email: aguilars [at] moravian.edu
Teaching: I offer courses in colonial and modern Latin American and Mexican history. I also teach seminars of food, class and gender in Latin America.
Current Research: I am currently working on a book manuscript entitled “Cooking Modernity: Food, Gender, and Class in Mid-Twentieth Century Mexico.” This work situates women, the kitchen, and food at the forefront of the modernization process by examining women’s agency at home and the failure of nutrition programs in Mexico.
Articles, Chapters and Encyclopedia Entries:
- "Chocolate", in Eric Zolov (ed.), Icons of Mexico, ABC-CLIO, forthcoming.
- "Cooking Technologies and Electrical Appliances in 1940s and 1950s Mexico," in Araceli Tinajero and J. Brian Freeman (eds.), Technology and Culture in Twentieth Century Mexico, Alabama: University of Alabama Press, 2012.
- "Nutrition and Modernity: Milk Consumption in 1940s and 1950s Mexico," Radical History Review, Special Issue on Radical Foodways, 110 (Spring), 2011, pp. 36-58.
- “La mesa está servida: comida y vida cotidiana en el México de mediados del siglo XX,” Revista de Historia Iberoamericana, 2:2, 2009, pp. 52-85.
- “Alimentando la nación: género y nutrición en México (1940-1960),” Revista de Estudios Sociales, Special Issue on History of Food and Food in History, 29 (April), 2008, pp. 28-40.
- “Rural-Urban Migration in Latin America,” entry in Encyclopedia of the Modern World. 1750 to the Present, New York: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- “Cooking Modernity: Nutrition Policies, Class, and Gender in 1940s and 1950s Mexico City,” The Americas, 64:2 (October), 2007, pp. 177-205.
- Review of Ann Shelby Blum, Domestic Economies: Family, Work, and Welfare in Mexico City, 1884-1943. H-Childhood, H-Net Reviews. August, 2010. URL: http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=29861
- Review of Jocelyn Olcott “Revolutionary Women in Postrevolutionary Mexico,” Journal of Peasant Studies, 35:2 (July), 2008, pp. 353-355.
- Review of Anny Brooksbank Jones and Ronald Munk “Cultural Politics in Latin America,” Bicentenario, 2:3, 2003, pp. 181-183.