MISSION: The Moravian College Music Department is a vital and integral part of the educational and cultural environment of Moravian College and the Lehigh Valley. For the student majoring in music, we offer excellent, comprehensive, and personalized degree programs in music integrated with liberal arts studies. For the student majoring in another field who wishes to study music, we offer a variety of courses designed to provide an appreciation and understanding of the creative process in music. We also foster fulfilling musical encounters for the community through a wide selection of private and group instruction, performance in ensembles, courses, lectures, and concerts.
The College currently offers two degrees for music
majors: the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Music. The Bachelor
of Arts allows more general studies than the Bachelor of Music.
The Bachelor of Arts is the preferred degree for students wishing
to double major. The Bachelor of Music degree is for students
who wish more comprehensive musical studies. This is the required degree
for students wishing to earn Pennsylvania Department of Education teaching
certification. The Music Department offers the following programs
within the Bachelor of Music degree: music education, performance
(instrumental, vocal, jazz), and composition.
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education
- Bachelor of Music in Performance (piano, organ,
- Bachelor of Music in Performance (Vocal)
- Bachelor of Music in Performance (Jazz-instrumental and vocal)
- Bachelor of Music in Composition
- Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Bachelor of Arts in Pre-Music Therapy
- The Minor in Music
- Post-baccalaureate Teacher Certification in Music Education
- The final entry year for the Bachelor of Arts in Music with a concentration
in Elementary Education was fall 2009.
For more information, contact the Music
Department at (610) 861-1650, the Moravian College Admissions
Department at (610) 861-1320, or the Comenius Center at (610) 861-1400.