- All major, minor, and blues scales, two octaves (at least
- Major and minor arpeggios, two octaves (at least 2 fingerings)
- Chord voicings for major 7th, minor 7th, and dominant 7th
chords (at least two root-position voicings for each - one rooted
on the 6th string and one rooted on the 5th string)
- Expect a short excerpt from a "lead sheet" for which the applicant should
demonstrate the ability to play the melody and the chord parts independently.
- Selections should be from the American songbook or jazz standard repertoire (good examples
found in the list below)
- American songbook: All the Things You Are, The Days of Wine and Roses, Night and Day, There Will Never Be Another You, etc.
- Jazz standards: Four; Solar; Straight, no Chaser; Lady Bird; Blue Bossa; etc.
- Applicants for the B.M. Performance degree must perform one
of the above selections as a solo/chord melody arrangement.
The B.M. Performance applicant should demonstrate the ability
to improvise and "comp" in a traditional jazz style over the
repertoire chosen for the audition.
NOTE: The jazz applicant may request a live accompanist
(music must be sent 2 weks in advance). If the applicant brings
a prerecorded (CD) accompaniment, a boombox will be provided.
To schedule an audition, or for more information,
Moravian College Music Department
1200 Main Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018
Music Office (610) 861-1650
FAX (610) 861-1657