- Play a concert-style snare drum solo that demonstrates
concert rolls, flams, and ruffs from the following (or equivalent):
- Whaley - Recital Solos for Snare Drum
- Cirone - Portraits in Rhythm
- Whaley - Intermediate Musical Studies for Snare Drum
- Play a two-mallet solo from the following (or equivalent):
- Goldenberg - Modern School for Xylophone, Marimba and
Vibraphone (from the "39 Etudes" section)
- McMillan - Masterpieces for Marimba
- Whaley - Musical Studies for the Intermediate Mallet Player
- Optional four-mallet solo at the applicant's level of accomplishment.
- Play a timpani solo on at least two timpani (which includes rolls) from the following (or equivalent):
- Hochreiner - Etüden für Timpani, Vol. I
- Whaley - Musical Studies for the Intermediate Timpanist
- Demonstrate the ability to match pitches and tune the timpani from a given reference pitch.
- Expect something in each area at the high school
- Instruments will be provided for the audition.
- Applicants should bring their own sticks and mallets to the audition.
- Perform material that best shows your level of proficiency. An audition seeks to discover
not only an applicant's present level of playing, but also the potential for future development.
To schedule an audition, or for more information,
Moravian College Music Department
1200 Main Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018
Music Office (610) 861-1650
FAX (610) 861-1657