- All major scales from memory
- Expect to read from a big band chart, "lead sheet,"
or transcribed solo.
- Expect to improvise over four choruses of Bb blues (medium tempo).
- Selections should be from the American songbook
or jazz standard repertoire (good examples found in the list below).
One piece should be a ballad, the other a medium/up tempo piece.
- American songbook: All the Things You Are, The Days of Wine
and Roses, Night and Day, There Will Never Be Another You,
Autumn Leaves, etc.
- Jazz standards: Four; Recordame; Solar; Straight, no Chaser;
Lady Bird; Blue Bossa; Body and Soul; Oleo; etc.
- For each piece, the applicant will play the "head"
(melody) and improvise over 2 choruses.
NOTE: The Jazz Applicant may request a live accompanist
(music must be sent 2 weeks in advance). If the applicant brings
a prerecorded (i.e., Jamey Aebersold play-along series CD) accompaniment,
a boombox will be provided.
To schedule an audition, or for more information,
Moravian College Music Department
1200 Main Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018
Music Office (610) 861-1650
FAX (610) 861-1657