Moravian College

Office of the Registrar

Frequently Asked Questions About Registration And Advising

Scheduling Questions

Q: I've already registered for the next term, but I want to change my schedule. Can I do that?

A: Yes and no. First-year students who register in May or summer are given until August 1 of the summer immediately before their first term at Moravian to call an academic dean and change a schedule (610-861-1348). For continuing students, registrations may not be changed until the beginning of the term, during the drop/add period.

Q:  I already registered online for my classes, and I just got online authorization to be added to a course I wanted.  What do I do next? 

            A:  A copy of that authorization went to the registrar.  If you only had 3 courses on your registration, they will add you to the fourth class, and you don’t need to do anything else. However, if you have 4 classes on your schedule, you will need to go to the registrar’s office to inform them of what class you are dropping to make room for the new one.  All other class schedule changes must be done via the drop/add process during the drop/add period (first 7 days of the term).

Q: I just looked at my schedule, and it looks like I was placed in some sections I know I didn't have on my registration.  How did this happen?

A:  In all likelihood, your schedule was altered when the registrar needed to "balance" the courses.  Balancing occurs when there are multiple sections of the same course and some sections end up with high enrollments and others low.  This happens most frequently with Spanish 100 and 105 sections, but could happen in any course with multiple sections.  After registration is over, the registrar looks at all student schedules in the larger section and sees who could move -- based on what we see on the registration form -- to the smaller section.  Fall term schedules, therefore, are not finalized until August 1, and Spring term schedules are not finalized until early in the new year (around January 3). 

Q: How can I be sure that I will be enrolled in the same section of a class that I registered for?

A: Many courses at Moravian meet in two or more sections at different times. If one section has too many students in it, and another too few, the registrar may shift some students from one section to another to achieve balance. If because of work, family, athletic or other obligations you cannot attend a section of the course other than the one you first selected, you need to have get what is called “Section Preference Approval”. You may request section preference approval from the Dean of Students, the Dean of Curriculum and Academic Programs, or the Assistant Dean for Academic Advising.  One of these deans will notify the registrar that your schedule is not to be changed through the “balancing” process.  You may not have section approval just because you want a certain instructor or because you want to sleep in.  Registering early (with senior class standing, or as a Comenius Scholar or Add-venture student) does NOT guarantee that you will stay in the section for which you originally registered.

Q: What if my athletic schedule conflicts with classes?

A: Athletes must schedule courses carefully to avoid conflicts with practices or competitions. To be sure that the schedule you get is the same one you designed, please read the answer to “How can I be sure that I will be enrolled in the same section of a class that I registered for?” above.

Even with careful scheduling, conflicts may sometimes arise. If you know or suspect that you will miss classes due to athletic competitions, let your professor know as early in the semester as possible and be as specific as possible about when your absences will occur. Most professors will try to accommodate you, but there is a limit to the number of absences a professor can allow. Most coaches send out lists of athletes who will be absent due to competitions, but you should contact your professors yourself before each absence to explain why you will miss class.

Q: How do I change my classes (or add classes) once the term starts?

A: If you already know which classes you want to take, and you are certain there is room in those classes, simply get a drop/add slip from the registrar's office. Fill out the course information, take it to the instructor(s) of the class(es) you are adding, and get his/her/their signature(s). You also need your advisor's signature. Once you have all the necessary signatures, return the form to the registrar's office. If you are not certain what classes are available, you may view a complete list of classes on AMOS. Keep in mind that enrollments during the drop/add period change constantly, as students return drop/add forms to the registrar's office, so check the campus web frequently to find the most current information. (Every registered student has a log-in to the campus web; for course searches, however, you may log in as a "guest.") NOTE: ALL COURSE ADDITIONS MUST BE COMPLETED IN THE FIRST 7 DAYS OF THE TERM (FALL OR SPRING), OR BY THE END OF THE SECOND CLASS MEETING IN THE SUMMER SESSIONS.

Q: How do I drop classes?

A: You will need the instructor's signature and your advisor's signature in order to drop classes. You may not simply just stop attending. Use the drop/add form, available in the registrar's office, to obtain the necessary signatures. When you have done so, please return the form to the registrar's office. The last day for dropping classes with a "w" (no credit, no grade) is announced every term; this date, always a Friday, usually occurs 4 weeks before the end of a fall or spring term. If you are considering dropping either Math 170 or a foreign language at the 105 or 110 level, talk to your instructor about the possibility of joining a lower-level course on the same subject (e.g. Foreign Language 100 or Math 106). If the semester is not too far advanced, this may be a good alternative to dropping the course. In fact, although students normally must make decisions about changing their schedule within the first seven days of class, the situation in Math (specifically, with Calculus) and 100-level foreign language classes is different. The Math Department allows students to remain in class for 4 weeks (until the first exam has been graded), so that the student and instructor together can decide whether or not the math placement was appropriate. Often, a student will switch from Math 170 to Math 106 four weeks into the semester, with no penalty.  The same situation applies with foreign language courses. A student who places into Spanish 110, for example, can remain in the class for 4 weeks before deciding ultimately whether or not to drop down one level (but not two) to Spanish 105.

Students may add and drop courses on the same form.

Advisors and students should remember that students must complete (with passing grades) a minimum of six course units during each academic year in order to maintain full-time status and eligibility for financial aid.

Q: What should I do if I think I am failing a course?

A: First of all, talk with the instructor to see if your estimate of how you are doing is correct. The instructor may be able to give you extra help or guidance, or to direct you to tutoring assistance. If you decide that you have to drop the course or to withdraw from it, follow the procedures below. If you are considering dropping either Math 170 or a foreign language at the 105 or 110 level, talk to your instructor about the possibility of joining a lower-level course on the same subject (e.g. Foreign Language 100 or Math 106). If the semester is not too far advanced, this may be a good alternative to dropping the course.

Q: How does withdrawing from a course affect my Grade Point Average and academic standing?

A: The “W” grade has no effect on a student’s grade point average. The “WF” grade is counted as an “F” in computing the grade point average. Advisors and students should remember that students must complete six course units during each academic year in order to maintain full-time status and eligibility for financial aid. Students who drop below 3 registered courses in a single term risk losing financial aid and/or housing. Please consult with the Financial Aid Office (610-861-1330) before deciding to drop a class.  The difference between the “W” and “WF” is really important, however, which is why students need to drop a class officially prior to the last day to drop a class.

Q: Can I add classes after the end of the drop/add period?

A: Yes, with the permission of your advisor, the course instructor, and the dean of curriculum and academic programs. There is a $100 late registration fee for course additions after the end of the drop/add period (first 7 days of class in a fall or spring term); this late fee does not apply to courses which begin at midterm.

Q: What happens if I just stop attending class? Won't that count as a withdrawal?

A: If you simply stop attending class, the answer is no, this does not count as a withdrawal. If you never submit a signed drop/add slip, you will receive a failing grade for the course.

Q: I missed a lot of classes because of illness (or family emergency). Can I take an incomplete and finish later?

A: Students may not "elect" to take an incomplete. Incompletes are granted by the associate dean of the college--not by a faculty member or by a student--in cases where circumstances beyond the student's control prohibited him or her from completing some of the work for a class. Students who miss a significant amount of class (more than 1/3) should withdraw, rather than take an incomplete. In most circumstances, students need to provide documentation or written verification that special circumstances prohibited the student from completing coursework on time. An incomplete is completely inappropriate when a student simply wants another day or two to "do better" on an assignment. Missing work for an incomplete must be submitted to the course instructor no later than six calendar weeks after the end of the final examination period for the term in question. Incompletes are not an option in Winter, May or Summer sessions.

Q: May I take courses on a Pass/No Credit basis?

A: Students who have completed at least fourteen course units and are degree candidates may take one course unit per term on a Pass/No Credit basis. Courses taken to fill the requirements for a major, a minor, or the Learning in Common curriculum may not be taken on a Pass/No Credit basis, and students may not take more than four courses on this basis for credit toward their degree. Note that this restriction does not apply to courses that are always graded on a Pass/No Credit basis.  According to departmental policy, students majoring in accounting, economics, management, or international management (or interdepartmental majors involving any of these fields) may not take any full-unit courses in the department on a pass/no credit basis, even if the courses are taken as electives.

Q: How do I enroll in a course on a Pass/No Credit basis?

A: Students may choose to take the Pass/No Credit option when they register for a course or up to the end of the first seven calendar days of the fall or spring semester. In no case may students switch to Pass/No Credit at a later time. They may however switch from taking the course on a Pass/No Credit basis to taking it for a grade up to the official withdrawal deadline. To do so they must submit a “Change of Roster” form, with the signature of the course instructor, to the registrar’s office.

Q: How does taking a course “Pass/No Credit” affect my Quality Point Average?

A: Whether the student receives a “P” for “Pass” or an “NC” for “No Credit,” the grade has no effect on his or her quality point average.

Q: I heard that at Moravian, students can sometimes take a fifth course for free. How can I do that?

A: A normal Moravian course load is 4 one-unit courses each fall or spring term. Students may elect to take 4.50 units in a given fall or spring term without incurring additional tuition charges. Above 4.50, however, there is an additional tuition charge (tuition charges vary from one year to the next). If you will be a sophomore, junior, or senior in the term during which you wish to take a fifth course, and you have an overall gpa of 3.70 at the time of registration for that 5th course, you may take a fifth course for free. (NOTE: If you have below a 3.75 at the time of registration, but you achieve a 3.75 by the end of the term, you are not eligible for the free course.) Students who have a 3.50 or higher, but not 3.75 or higher, are eligible to take a fifth course at a reduced rate.  For either the reduced rate or free fifth course, you need to complete a special form to register for this course. Music lessons and music practica are not available as free courses; in addition, some independent studies or field studies may not be available for free. The fifth free course is space-available only; if you wish to guarantee your space in an extra course, you will need to pay the extra tuition charges. Students may not defer a fifth free course to the summer.  Students may not use free courses to accelerate graduation.

Back to top

GPA and transcript questions

Q: I failed a course last year. I'm planning to retake that same course this year. What happens to the failing grade?

A: Moravian does not practice "grade forgiveness," which means that if a student fails a course, that failing grade remains on his or her transcript forever. In the event that the student retakes the same course, each grade received will appear separately on the student's transcript -- no matter how many times the student retakes the course -- and both grades are counted in the student's overall gpa. Only the higher grade counts, however, in the student's major gpa.

Q: I have a low grade in a course in my major, and I want to retake the course to prove I can do better. How can I do that, and how does that affect my transcript?

A: When you register, you'll need to mark the "retake" course in the appropriate column. If you're not sure where that is, check with your advisor or the registrar. Moravian does not practice "grade forgiveness," so each grade you receive for the course will appear on your transcript forever. If you receive a D and a B, you still see both grades, but you will only receive 1 total unit of credit, no matter how many times you retake the course. Both the D and B grades are calculated in your overall GPA. In your major, however, we only count the higher grade in your major gpa.  Please note that the federal government has restrictions on how many times students receiving financial aid may repeat courses, so if you have any concerns about how repeating a course may affect your financial aid eligibility, please contact your financial aid counselor.

Q: I graduated from Moravian already. Now, I want to take some more classes, towards a second major/second degree/teacher certification. How will those new grades affect my overall gpa?

A: Quite simply, they won't. Your undergraduate overall gpa is "frozen" once you graduate, no matter how many more courses you take. You will develop a new "post-baccalaureate" gpa, based entirely on the courses you took after you received your bachelor's degree at Moravian.

Q: How do I figure out my major gpa?

A: All courses numbered 110-199, 210-299, 310-399, or 400-401 in your major department count towards your major, even if you've taken more than the required number of courses. So, for example, if your major is philosophy, which requires 8 courses, and you've taken 11, you need to count all 11 in calculating your major gpa.

Take the quality points (A=4, A-=3.67, B+=3.33, and so on) awarded for each course unit, and add them up. (Music majors, be careful in checking units and quality points.) Then divide by the number of total course units scheduled in the major department. If you have taken the same course twice (EXCEPTION: Music performance), then only count the highest grade you received, and count the course only once. Divide the quality points by the number of units. "F" grades count as zero in the quality points, but you still need to include the course unit if you have not retaken the course and passed it. For example:

Phil 120 -- got an A- = 3.67
Phil 122 -- got a B = 3.00
Phil 243 -- got a B+ = 3.33
Phil 245 -- got an F = 0.00
Phil 291 -- got a C+ = 2.33
Phil 390 -- C- = 1.67
Phil 347 -- D- = 0.67
Phil 211 -- D = 1.00

The current quality points in Philosophy equal 15.67. The units scheduled equal 8. This student's gpa in philosophy is currently 1.96. (I hope this fellow isn't a senior, because right now his gpa in his major is too low to allow him to graduate.)

If your major has requirements outside of your major department (math majors, for example, must take physics), you do not count to "co-requisite" courses--only the courses in the major department. In economics and business, count all courses taken in economics, management, or accounting.

If you have declared a regular catalog major (that is, not a self-designed program or interdepartmental major), your advising worksheet in AMOS should show your major GPA at the top.

Back to top

Courses at other institutions; Transferring courses

Q: May I take courses at other colleges in the Lehigh Valley?

A: Yes. Full-time day students in good academic standing who have earned at least six course units may take courses at other LVAIC (Lehigh Valley Association of Independent Colleges) member schools--Cedar Crest College, De Sales University, Lafayette College, Lehigh University, and Muhlenberg College-- without paying additional tuition. Students are responsible for any fees associated with those courses (for example, lab fees). Independent studies, field studies, music lessons, and nursing clinical courses are not available through cross-registration. A student may take one or two courses at these other colleges in any one semester, and may take as many as eight for credit toward the degree. Such courses are included in the total course load for the semester, which may not exceed four and one-half course units. Inquire in the registrar’s office for information and for the cross-registration form. Please note that your registration for classes at other LVAIC schools is not guaranteed; rather, it is "space-available," meaning that if you select a course at Lehigh, you may have to wait several weeks or months until Lehigh's registration period is over to find out whether or not you were put into the class. Always select a "back-up" choice at Moravian in case your enrollment doesn't go through.

Q: How do I get to the other LVAIC schools to take courses?

A: Students are responsible for arranging their own transportation, and should keep in mind that the academic calendars of these schools may differ from Moravian’s.

Q: How does taking courses at other LVAIC schools affect my Grade Point Average and academic standing?

A: Courses carrying three or more semester hours of credit at an LVAIC school are accepted as the equivalent of an entire Moravian course unit when taken as part of a normal class load during the fall or spring terms. The grades received in these courses are recorded on the Moravian transcript and are included in the calculation of quality point averages. Courses taken at other LVAIC schools during their summer sessions are granted credit on a fractional basis. A four-credit-hour course counts as a full Moravian course unit. Grades from summer session courses at other LVAIC schools are also entered on the Moravian transcript and included in quality point averages.

Q: What about non-LVAIC schools? Can I take courses at other schools while I'm a Moravian student, and count those courses towards my Moravian degree?

A: Yes and no. Once a student has enrolled as a degree candidate at Moravian College, all registered courses in a fall or spring term must be offered by Moravian or by an LVAIC college. In the summer, students must complete a "permission to take summer course elsewhere" form, available in the registrar's office, for any course which is not offered by Moravian College.

Students who wish to take courses at their local community or county college and transfer the credits to Moravian may do so only if they have accumulated fewer than 16 total units towards their Moravian degree.

In order for you to receive credit for a non-LVAIC course, you must have the course approved in advance by a department chair or dean, and you must receive a grade of C (not C-) or better. Pass/no credit courses will not transfer to Moravian College. The student is responsible for arranging for a transcript to be sent from the other school directly to Moravian's registrar.

Occasionally, because of necessary course sequencing, students may appeal to the dean of curriculum and academic programs to enroll full-time at Moravian and, during the same term, enroll in a single course at a non-LVAIC institution. The costs for these non-Moravian, non-LVAIC courses, are not covered by Moravian tuition or financial aid. Students must receive permission in advance, and give evidence that the student's progress towards his or her degree will be inhibited if the student is not able to complete said course in the semester in questions. Credit is granted only if the course comes from an accredited institution, and the student receives a grade of C (not C-) or better. The student is responsible for arranging for a transcript to be sent from the other school directly to Moravian's registrar.

According to Middle States' regulations, we may not discriminate against a course based exclusively on mode of delivery; that means, we can't say "no" just because the course is an on-line course.  However, to substitute for a Moravian course, the transfer course must meet the same outcomes the equivalent Moravian College course; therefore, the College may decide not to accept certain courses which do not appear to be equivalent -- for example, a student may not transfer to Moravian a foreign language course which was taught exclusively on-line, because there is no conversation component, which is a required element of all Moravian College foreign language courses. 

Back to top

Declaring a Major

Q: How do I declare a major?

A: Obtain a pink declaration of major form from the registrar or your advisor. You need at least two signatures (education students need 3): that of your current advisor, that of your new advisor, and that of someone in the education department, if you are planning to pursue a teacher certification program (music education students do not need the signature of anyone in education). Once you have the appropriate signatures, simply return the form to the registrar.

Q: When should I/can I declare a major?

A: Students may declare a major after they have completed their first full-time term of study. Students who have junior standing must declare a major before registration for the spring semester of their junior year (that is, the registration period which takes place in October and November of the student's junior year). Juniors who do not complete a declaration of major form will be prohibited from registering.

Q: May I design my own major?

A: Yes. There are two ways to do this. The first is to create an "Interdepartmental Major," which means you select (with the approval of an advisor) six courses from two existing majors, rather than complete 8+ courses in a single major. This is not the same as a double major, in which a student completes two full majors, totalling at least 16 units. The Interdepartmental Major must be approved by the College's Academic Standards Committee, currently chaired by Dean Traupman-Carr, Chairperson of the Academic Standards Committee. The necessary application form for an Interdepartmental Major can be found on AMOS.

The second way to create your own major is to develop a "Self-Designed Major." Here, too, you need to select and complete, with the approval of an advisor, 12 course units which themselves do not constitute an existing major. The Self- Designed Major must be approved by the College's Academic Standards Committee, currently chaired by Dean Traupman-Carr. The necessary application form for an Individually Designed Major can be found on AMOS.

Whether you plan an interdepartmental major or an individually designed major, you must submit the application to the Academic Standards Committee PRIOR TO registration in the spring term of your junior year.

If you plan to use courses available through cross-registration to complete your major, please be advised that enrollment in courses at other institutions is not guaranteed, even if these courses are required for your program.  We do not, therefore, recommend the creation of a major (or minor) that is dependent on cross-registration.

Q: I have a major in history, and I'm planning on getting certification to teach 7-12 social studies. Can I get two majors, one in history and one in historical studies, since I'm taking all these extra non-history courses for certification?

A: No. You may not use the same course to count towards two different majors, and there is significant overlap between the history major and historical studies major.

Q: I have two majors. Can I get two degrees?

A: Maybe. There are three requirements for double degrees: 1) you need to complete at least 40 total course units; 2) you need to declare and complete two different majors; and 3) the two majors need to belong to different degree groups. This last item is important. You cannot receive two Bachelor of Arts degrees (or Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Music). If you have a double major in two B.A. programs, you cannot receive two degrees -- for example, a double major in Art and English (both B.A. programs) will award you only one degree. Here is the complete list of majors and the degrees to which they belong:

Bachelor of Arts

Bachelor of Music

Bachelor of Science

Back to top


Q: Must I declare and complete a minor in order to graduate?

A: No.  Minors are not required for any degree program.

Q: What are the requirements for a minor?

A: There are several specific requirements which apply to all minors at Moravian College.

Courses which received a letter grade at a non-LVAIC institution may transfer to Moravian and count towards a minor.  In this case, students must complete at least 3 course units with letter grades in the minor at Moravian College.

Most departments have specific courses which are required for the minor.  Please check the catalog for these requirements.  If you plan to use courses available through cross-registration to complete your minor, please be advised that enrollment in courses at other institutions is not guaranteed, even if these courses are required for your program.  We do not, therefore, recommend the creation of a minor (or major) that is dependent on cross-registration.

Finally, students may not have a minor in the same department as their major, with two exceptions.  Students with a math major may minor in computer science (or vice versa) and students in economics and business may minor in an area that differs from their major (accounting major, economics minor, for example).  In these cases, students may not double-dip courses between the major and minor; thus, an accounting major must take economics courses that are independent of those required by the major program (Econ 152, Econ 156, Econ 225) in order to complete 5 courses for the economics minor. 

Q: Is it possible to create a self-designed minor?

A: Yes.  To do so, you should meet with your advisor first.  Second, you need to complete the application form for an "Self-designed minor."  This form is available on AMOS.

Back to top

LinC questions

Q: What LinC requirements must I fulfill?

A:  All students in the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Sciences programs must complete all the F categories (F1, F2, F3, and F4).  Among the M and U categories, students must complete 6 of 8 categories; at least one of these must be a U course. So, students can fulfill 4 M and 2 U categories, or 5 M and 1 U categories.

the F1, F3, and F4 categories, plus 2 courses in the M1-M5 categories, and 1 U category.  Bachelor of Music students in music education also complete the F2 requirement; they MUST take the M2 (literature) and M3 (Educ 160=ultimate questions) categories for their M choices.

Add-venture students must complete the F1 requirement and a writing-intensive course in their major.  They are exempted from all other LinC categories, but are strongly urged to fill elective slots with LinCcourses.

Q: How can I find out if a course has been approved for fulfilling a LinC requirement?

A: There are three places to look. The first is the college catalog. Because the catalog is now an online document only, it is updated regularly whenever amendments or corrections are required.  However, the catalog does not include any special topics courses (courses which are brand new or which are only offered once or twice), so LinC special topics courses will not be listed there.

The Registrar’s Office also maintains the list of approved LinC courses offered each semester, sorted by LinC requirement.

In the course search feature on AMOS, you can actually search current offerings by LinC category.   

Q: I'm fluent in another language besides English. Must I fulfill the F3 (foreign language) requirement?

A: That depends. For international students from non-English speaking countries, the F3 requirement is waived. (International students do not, however, receive course credit for their language.) For resident aliens and U.S. citizens, the requirement is not automatically waived. However, you may meet with the chair of the Foreign Language Department to request an evaluation of your fluency. He or she can give you a placement test or proficiency exam to determine whether the foreign language requirement may be waived, or whether you should simply be placed in a higher-level foreign language course. That department chair then notifies the registrar and associate dean for academic affairs in writing of your waiver or placement.

Q: Can LinC courses count towards my major, and vice versa?

A: Yes.  There are no restrictions on the number of courses that count in both LinC and your major, or LinC and your minor.  You may not, however, count courses in one major towards another major, or in a major and minor simultaneously.

Under no circumstances may students use a 'triple dip' (that is, a course which is a requirement for your major, a writing-intensive course in your major, and also fulfills a LinC F, M, or U requirement).

Q: I took a course that I thought fulfilled a LinC requirement, but now I find out it doesn’t. Is there a way to appeal?

A: Yes. The LinC committee meets weekly throughout the fall and spring terms, and can review such appeals. To prepare your appeal, please find the course review sheet for the appropriate LinC category. (It is probably advisable for you to do this in consultation with your course instructor or academic advisor.) Then you must write to the LinC committee, submitting a course description for the course in question, and answering the questions in part II of the course review sheets (teaching and learning strategies). This part of the review sheet will help you and the LinC committee to determine whether or not the course is actually meeting the intended LinC outcomes for the category.

Your appeal may be submitted to Carol Traupman-Carr, Dean of Curriculum and Academic Programs or Dr. Michele August-Brady, chair of the Learning In Common (c/o the Nursing Department).

Q:  I am planning to study abroad.  Can I get waivers for LinC by studying abroad?

A: No. All students have two LinC waivers of their choice already, as described above (6 of 8 M/U courses); there are no additional waivers for study abroad.  But go and have fun regardless – and keep in mind that you might find courses in your study abroad experience that actually DO fulfill LinC requirements.

Q: I transferred to Moravian. What LinC requirements must I fulfill?

A: Transfer students must complete the same required LinC courses for their major or program as any four-year student at Moravian would. If you have transferred in as a junior or senior, you may already have completed a number of courses that are equivalent to courses in our LinC curriculum. In this event, you must complete at least one LinC course from within the M categories and at least one LinC course from within U categories at Moravian (if your curriculum only requires one U course) or both U courses at Moravian (if your curriculum requires two U courses). A writing-intensive course in your major area of study is also required.

Q: I transferred to Moravian, and already took the course elsewhere that’s required as writing-intensive in my major here. What do I do?

A: Any student enrolled at Moravian (including students in the Add-Venture program) must complete a writing-intensive course in his or her major. Most departments have designated one particular course as writing intensive. If you received transfer credit for this course, you do not need to retake it here. (In fact, you can’t, because we do not award a second unit of credit for a course retake.) Instead, you can do one of the following things to fulfill the WI requirement:

Q: I’ve designed my own major. None of the courses I selected are designated as WI (writing intensive). Is that ok?

A: No, it’s not ok. Every student who earns a degree at Moravian College must complete at least one WI course in his or her major. This includes students who have designed their own majors, or are doing an interdepartmental major. Your program will not be approved without at least one WI course included; if it was already approved, then you will need to make a substitution among your selected courses, or take an additional course as WI—whichever best fits your schedule.

Q: I already passed WRIT 100 or First-Year Seminar. Now, there’s another WRIT 100 section being offered with a topic that I think sounds interesting. Can I take this?

A: One of the primary goals of LinC is to improve students’ facility in writing, and we certainly support and encourage students to take more courses that include writing. However, WRIT 100 and FYS are specifically designed for first-year students only, and is supposed to be the first course in the writing process. Therefore, no student who has passed LINC 101 (FYS), WRIT 100, or the equivalent course at another institution is permitted to enroll in another WRIT 100 section. It is difficult to mix students who have had college writing with those who have not, and even more problematic to mix upperclassmen—some of whom will have already had a writing-intensive course in their major—with freshmen. Furthermore, the WRIT 100 courses are primarily courses about improving writing skills and learning the writing process. They are not driven by the topic, and students should not be taking these courses primarily to learn more about sports and American society, or the sources of madness. Students interested in those topics should instead arrange to take an independent study.

In short, the answer to your question is "no."

Back to top

Field Studies and Independent Studies

Q: How do I arrange an Independent Study course?

A: In an Independent Study, the student works with a faculty member to develop a program of supervised reading, research, or artistic production not provided by existing courses, and earns one course unit upon successfully completing the independent study project. Independent Study is available to students who have junior or senior standing and a QPA of at least 2.70. (Transfer students must also have completed a full fall or spring term of study at Moravian).

To apply for an Independent Study, you need to fill out the application form (click here for the form) and obtain the signature of the faculty member who will be supervising and evaluating the independent study as well as the signature of your academic advisor. Remember that your description of the independent study project must include a statement of how your work will be evaluated by the supervising faculty member. Evaluation methods include tests, papers, journals, weekly meetings, and other means by which the instructor can assess your progress. The form must be submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs. When you register for the semester when you will take the Independent Study, include it as one of your courses on your registration form. Usually Independent Studies are indicated by the department prefix followed by the number “381”—for example, HIST 381.

Students may schedule no more than one Independent Study or Honors course each semester, up to a maximum of four during their junior and senior years. Independent Study may also be taken during the summer.

Q: How do I arrange an Internship for credit?

A: Internships provide course credit for off-campus work, study, or both.  Internships may be undertaken by students who have junior or senior standing and a QPA of at least 2.70. (Transfer students must also have completed a full fall or spring term of study at Moravian). The field experiences or internships required by certain programs or majors at Moravian, such as Education, Sociology, and English, are not considered Field Studies under these rules.

To undertake an internship, you need to find both a faculty coordinator and an on-site supervisor who will share responsibility for supervising the project. You then fill out the application form and the Internship Agreement (click here for the form). The application requires your signature and that of the faculty coordinator. The contract requires those signatures as well as the signatures of the on-site supervisor and the chair of the department that is sponsoring the Internship.

Remember that your Internship Agreement must include a statement of how your work will be assessed by the faculty coordinator and on-site supervisor. Assessment methods might include tests, papers, journals, weekly meetings, and other means by which your progress can be measured. These forms—the application and the Agreement--must be submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs. When you register for the semester when you will take the internship, include it as one of your courses on your registration form. Usually internships are indicated by the department prefix followed by the number “386”—for example, HIST 386.

Students may earn from one to three course units for an internship, but a internship can only earn three units if it involves a full-time commitment and residence off campus. No more than three course units earned by internship can be used to help meet the graduation requirement of thirty-two course units.

Back to top

Other Questions

Q: What are the graduation requirements?

A: There are several.

Advisors may access the graduation checklist (usually called the "green sheet," because we print the hard copies on green paper), by clicking here.

Q: Can I “test out” of a course and get credit?

A: Yes you can, in a variety of ways. Students may get course credit for Advanced Placement Examinations taken prior to admission to Moravian, or for other tests taken either before or after admission, including the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the DSST examinations. Inquiries about earning credit through these examination programs should be addressed to the dean of curriculum and academic programs.

Q: I transferred to Moravian College. Am I eligible for graduation honors (ex.: summa cum laude)?

A: Yes, but only if you complete at least 16 graded course units at Moravian College. If you take fewer than 16 total units at Moravian, or if some of those were pass/no credit courses, then you are not eligible for graduation honors.

Q: What are the gpa requirements for graduation honors?

A: For summa cum laude, a final gpa of 3.80 to 4.00. For magna cum laude, a final gpa of 3.65 to 3.79. For cum laude, a final gpa of 3.50 to 3.64.

back to top


For inquiries please contact