Dr. Kelly Denton-Borhaug
Associate Professor and Dept. Chair
Co-director, Peace and Justice Studies Minor
B.A., California State University, Northridge
M.Div. with Honors, Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
Ph.D., Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, CA
Currently Dr. Denton-Borhaug is working on research related to the Christian understandings of sacrifice and sacrificial ideology in U.S. "war-culture." She also works on feminist and liberationist ethics and theology, soteriology, and theology and culture. Over the last year she has begun a second thread of research and teaching related to pilgrimage studies.
U.S. War-culture, Sacrifice and Salvation (London: Equinox, 2011). Religion and Violence Series, Co-editors Rosemary Radford Ruether and Lisa Isherwood.
See http://kdentonblog.wordpress.com/ more information.
Recent Articles and Activities:
- "Sacrifice, Moral Injury, and the Work of Healing after War," Caring Connections: An Inter-Lutheran Journal for Practitioners and Teachers of
Pastoral Care and Counseling, http://caringconnectionsonline.org/, Winter 2013.
- "Beyond Iraq and Afghanistan: Religion and Politics in U.S. War-culture," Dialog, Summer 2012.
- Panelist at recent peace event in Lancaster, PA: "Stories of Taxes and Conscience in a Culture of War" sponsored by 1040 for Peace and Every Church a Peace Church, spring 2012.
- Recipient of the Dec. 2012 "Peace Pilgrim Award" at the "53rd Peace Pilgrimage" in Bethlehem, and keynote speaker, “De-escalating U.S. War-culture: A Primer for Peace Advocates”.
- Commissioner at Truth Commission on Conscience in War, Riverside Church, New York, March 21-22, 2010.
- "Sacrifice and U.S. War-culture," Prajna Vihara: Journal of Philosophy and Religion. Vol. 10 No. 1-2 Jan-Dec.2009, 51-76.
- "War-culture and Sacrifice," Feminist Theology. Vol. 18(2) January 2010.
- "A Theological Reflection on Torture and Democracy," Dialog: A Journal of Theology. Vol 47, No.3, Fall 2008.
- "The Language of `Sacrifice' in the Buildup to War: A Feminist Rhetorical and Theological Analysis, The Journal of Religion and Popular Culture, spring, 2007. http://www.usask.ca/relst/jrpc/
- "A Deadly Nexus: `Necessity," Christian Salvation and War Culture, International
- Journal of the Humanities, Vol 5, Issue 9, fall '07, pp. 161-168. http://ijh.cgpublisher.com/
- First Year Seminar 101: What Is Education For?
- 110: What Is Religion?
- 131: Jesus Saves? Salvation Metaphors in Christian Thought
- 165: Lifewalk of Justice: Introduction to Peace and Justice Studies (co-taught with Dr. Daniel Jasper)
- 136: Seeing and Believing: Women, Religion and Film
- 211: Christian Ethics and War
- 217: Paul through Jewish and Christian Eyes
- 225: Theology and Culture: Pilgrimage: Searching for God in a (Post)Modern World (an online course)
- 240: Jewish and Christian Feminism
- 245: Religion and Politics
- 255: Latin American Liberation Theology (with travel seminar to U.S./Mexico border region)
- 296: The Civil Rights Movement and the Moral Life (co-taught with Dr. Bob Mayer)
- 370: The Senior Seminar: Disruptive Christian Ethics