Dr. Don St. John
Professor Emeritus of Religion
B.A., St. Francis College (PA)
M.A., Temple University
Ph.D., Fordham University
Religions of Asia, Native American Religions, and Environmental Philosophy/Spirituality.
Dr. St. John has focused much of his recent research and publishing on Thomas Merton (1915-1968), the American Catholic spiritual writer. In 2004 Don won a Catholic Press Association award for "Teilhard in the 21st Century: The Emerging Spirit of Earth," co-edited with Arthur Fabel. Editor of "Teilhard Studies" from 1994-2007, Don is also founder and editor of "Ecospirit," a mini-journal dedicated to the exploration of ecological spirituality.
- "Thomas Merton: Hope "Pops Up" in my Life," in Gray Henry and Jonathan Montaldo, eds., We Are Already One: Thomas Merton's Message of Hope. Reflections to Honor His Centenary (1915-2015). (Louisville: Fons Vitae Press, 2015): 163-167.
- "Merton as Radical Ecologist: Principles for Judging Human Action," in Patrick O'Connell, editor, The Merton Seasonal: On the Last Day of January, 2015: Why Merton Still Matters. Vol. 40 No.1 (Spring 2015): 55-56.
- ”Ecological Wisdom in Merton’s Chuang Tzu,” in Merton & the Tao, Serran-Pagan, ed. (Louisville: Fons Vitae Press, 2013), pp.103-123.
- Review of the book The Environmental Vision of Thomas Merton, by Monica Weis, The Merton Annual Vol. 24(2012): 281-285.
- "Contemplation & Cosmos: Merton on Maximus and Teilhard."Teilhard Studies, Spring, 2011.
- "Thomas Merton's Troubling Questions on Violence: From Auschwitz to Vietnam," Prajna Vihara Journal of Philosophy and Religion, Vol. 10 No. 1-2 (Jan-Dec, 2009), pp. 3-50.
- Religions of India: Hinduism and Buddhism
- Religious Thought of China & Japan
- Native American Religions
- Environmental Philosophy
- The Moral Life in Four Asian Traditions
- Contemplative Spirituality: Buddhist and Christian
- Spiritual Poetry in the World's Religions
- The Holy Fool
- Religion & Ecology
- The Legacy of Thomas Merton