Addictions / 12 Step Meetings
Are you Addicted?
There are many signs that an individual may have an addiction. The addiction signs listed below are general cues that your behavior may be addiction. Be aware that possessing several of these signs does not always imply that there is an addiction present, but if you need further help, contact the Counseling Center to schedule a consultation.
- changes in eating habits
- Extreme hyperactivity; excessive talkativeness, unexplained silliness or giddiness.
- overall change in attitude / personality
- Changes in friends, avoidance of old crowd
- loss of interest in things that were important before
- Drop in school performance
- Loss of interest in family and family activities
- Difficulty in paying attention; forgetfulness
- "I don't care" attitude
- Defensiveness, resentful behavior (everything's a hassle), irritable, moody
- Violent temper or bizarre behavior, suspiciousness
- Secretive behavior.
- Chronic dishonesty; trouble with police.
- Unexplained need for money; can't explain where money goes; stealing
Information on 12 Step Anonymous groups
" ... a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover ..."
- The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop
- There are no dues or fees
- Not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes.
Closed Meeting - Only those with a problem, or those who think they may have a problem, and have a desire to stop, may attend and participate.
Open Meeting - Spouses, family, and friends of the person with the problem are welcome to attend and observe the meeting.
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
- 24 Hour hotline: 610-882-0558
- Al-Anon and Ala-Teen
- Cocaine Addicts Anonymous (CA)
- 24 Hour "Live" Information Helpline: 215-333-7798
- Food Addiction
- Gamblers Anonymous (GA)
- National Hotline: 888-GA-HELPS (888-424-3577)
- Philadelphia Hotline Number: 888-442-7085
- State Department of Health
24 hr Gambling Addiction Hotline
- Council on Compulsive Gambling of PA
- Narcotics Anonymous (NA)
- Overeaters Anonymous (OA)
- Sex Addicts Anonymous (SA)