The Center for Leadership and Service seeks to be a bridge between the community service needs of the greater Lehigh Valley and the campus community. Students are empowered to become leaders through an active commitment to service within their campus community and beyond.
- Our Philosophy
- Areas for Involvement
- Student Staff
- Professional Staff
- Annual Report (2013-2014)
- Annual Report (2012-2013)
- Annual Report (2011-2012)
- Hound Tracks Newsletter - NEW Spring 2014
- Hound Tracks Newsletter - Fall 2013
- Hound Tracks Newsletter - Spring 2013
- Hound Tracks Newsletter - Fall 2012
- Hound Tracks Newsletter - Spring 2012
- Hound Tracks Newsletter - Fall/Winter 2011
- Contact Us
The Center for Leadership and Service is located in the Haupert Union Building (HUB), building 11/12 on the Moravian College Map.
Historically, leadership and social responsibility have been articulated goals of a liberal arts education. The Center for Leadership and Service assists students with developing the intellectual, interpersonal, and organizational perspectives necessary for the practice of ethical leadership in an increasingly complex world.
At Moravian College, we believe that leadership is an active process and that the ability to engage in leadership is everyone's right and everyone's responsibility. The Leadership Center was established to engage the campus community in discussion, discovery, and dialogue about the many aspects of leadership as it applies to the academic disciplines, varied professions, the community, and our own campus. To this end, the Center for Leadership and Service sponsors and creates a comprehensive range of curricular and co-curricular programs, activities, and community service opportunities that involve students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community leaders.
We believe that leadership is the capacity to mobilize oneself and others to work collaboratively to bring about change for the betterment of society (Astin). Leadership and service is everyone’s option and everyone’s responsibility; leadership is action, not position.
The academic and co-curricular programs in the Center for Leadership and Service share six specific goals:
- Teach diverse forms of leadership
- Increase civic engagement
- Promote global awareness
- Explore leadership through cooperative and interdisciplinary learning
- Provide faculty development opportunities related to leadership and service topics
- Encourage student scholarship as leadership
The Center for Leadership and Service provides numerous opportunities for students to develop leadership and service skills through involvement in the greater Lehigh Valley and campus community.
- Mentoring Program
- The Learning Connection (TLC)
- America Reads Literacy Program (Federal Work-Study)
- Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Reel Leadership
- Service Trips
During the 2014-2015 student staff will support the Center for Leadership and Service through the following positions.
- America Reads Student Coordinator
- Communications Assistant
- Volunteer Coordinator (Athletics)
- Community Service Assistant
- Student Volunteer Assistant
- Poverty Programs Student Coordinator
If you are interested in becoming involved in the Center for Leadership and Service as one of our staff members, please stop by and speak with one of our professional staff. Applications are generally available in mid-March for positions the following year.
Leadership Center Support Staff
Suzanne Moyer '13
Phone: (610) 861-1498
Fax: (610) 861-1580
Dr. Michelle Schmidt
Director of Academic Leadership Programs
Phone: (610) 861-1606
Fax: (610) 625-7879
For general information about community service opportunities, please email email@example.com.
For general information about leadership activities please contact Suzanne Moyer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also contact us or learn more about the activities of the Center on our Facebook page!