Star Wars vs. Harry Potter
(mommy and Andrew's theory)
Ever notice the striking similarities between the Star Wars saga and that of Harry Potter? We don't mean the fact that the music for the movies was written by John Williams in both cases....we're talking the stories themselves. Consider this:
1) Luke is told his parents are dead. (His mother is dead, and the man who was Anakin Skywalker certainly is as well.) Harry Potter's parents are dead.
2) Luke's parents died because of a struggle with the "dark side" of the Force. Harry's parents died at the hands of a dark wizard.
3) Luke is sent to live with his aunt and uncle, who don't approve of the life his father lead. Harry is sent to live with his aunt and uncle, who don't approve of the life either of his parents lead.
4) Luke doesn't feel he fits in on Tatooine, and wants desperately to explore. Harry doesn't feel like he fits in in Surrey, or in the Muggle world, and wants desperately to get out.
5) Luke eventually finds a surrogate father in Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi, who is killed by Darth Vader, on the dark side of the Force. Harry eventually finds a surrogate father in Sirius Black, his godfather, who is killed by dark wizards.
6) Luke is a whiz at flying. Harry is a wizard who's a natural on a broom.
7) Luke's best friends are a male and female. Harry's best friends are a male and female.
8) Luke's best male friend is Han. Harry's best male friend is Ron.
9) Luke must choose not to join the dark side of the Force. Harry must choose not to join Slytherin, and not to become a dark wizard.
10) Luke must slay the Death Star. Harry must slay the basilisk.
11) Luke waves a light saber. Harry waves a wand.
12) Luke can speak Wookie. Harry can speak Parselmouth.
13) Gifted youths who are strong in the Force are sent to the Jedi Academy. Gifted youths who are witches or wizards are sent to Hogwarts.
14) A very old, very wise, very powerful leader and teacher is Yoda. A very old, very wise, very powerful leader and teacher is Albus Dumbledore.
15) Luke is viewed as the Jedi's last hope to defeat the Empire. Ditto for Harry defeating Lord Voldemort.
16) Luke and the other Jedi must battle a Sith Lord (Lord Vader, Count Dooku, the Emperor himself, etc.). Harry must battle Lord Voldemort.
17) Anakin Skywalker takes on a new name when he turns to the dark side. Tom Riddle takes on a new name when he becomes a dark wizard.
18) Luke was permanently "scarred" (lost his hand) in a battle with a dark lord (Vader). Harry was permanently scarred in his battle with the dark lord (Voldemort).
19) The ultimate dark lord in each story has a last name beginning with "V."